The Joint Ontology Workshops - JOWO 2022
Episode 8: The Svear Sommar of Ontology
August 15-19, 2022, Jönköping, Sweden (On-site)
1st Call for Workshop and Tutorial Proposals
* Submission window: Dec 5, 2021 - Feb 15, 2022
* Notification latest on: Mar 1, 2022
The organisation team invites proposals for workshops and tutorials to be submitted to the eighth edition of the Joint Ontology Workshop (JOWO 2022). The event will take place at Jönköping University in Sweden on August 15-19, 2022.
Workshops and tutorials at JOWO 2022 are events whose scientific program is independently established by the workshop organisers, but whose venue matters are managed by the organisation of the umbrella event. This means that organisers for each workshop are responsible for advertising the workshop, finding a program committee, and reviewing and selecting the contributions. Each workshop will be treated as an independent track at JOWO and will be provided a submission track on JOWO's Easychair, a room at a shared venue with joint breaks, shared keynote speakers, and social programs. Attendees are free to partake in all workshops at JOWO and all accepted papers are to be published in the joint proceedings (open access CEUR proceedings in the IAOA series: http://ceur-ws.org/iaoa.html).
Proposals for workshops of interest are those that provide a forum for the discussion of theory, practice, development and/or application of topics broadly related to ontologies, formal ontology, and knowledge management and their application in information science or closely related areas. The strength of JOWO is the variety of different topics within the same domain. Therefore, JOWO workshops typically address a wide spectrum of topics related to ontology research and information science: ranging from Philosophy and Cognitive Science. Knowledge Representation and Logic, Linguistics and Natural Language Processing, Artificial Intelligence and Hybrid AI, Conceptual Modelling and the Semantic Web. In general, any particular domain in which ontologies may be put to use is welcome. As a workshop collective, JOWO is especially suitable for interdisciplinary and innovative formats.
Previous JOWO editions were held as independent events in 2019 in Graz (Austria), in 2017 in Bolzano (Italy), and in conjunction with FOIS 2018 in Cape Town (South Africa), with FOIS 2016 in Annecy (France), and at IJCAI 2015 in Buenos Aires (Argentina). During the pandemic times 2022-21, JOWO were held as components in BOSK 2021 and 2022 in Bolzano (Italy).
This year's venue is Jönköping University. The university offers modern facilities in a mid-sized town in the south of Sweden. Beautifully located between shimmering lakes and lush forests, Jönköping is a popular tourist destination for nature lovers, sports enthusiasts and those interested in nordic culture. JOWO will be organised as an on-site event, but individual workshops may choose to invite part of their workshop presenters in an online form, given that they manage the complexities of the hybrid format independently from the JOWO organisation.
Workshop proposals are evaluated upon arrival and should be sent – no later than the 15th of February – to: steering.JOWO2022@gmail.com
We encourage several forms and lengths of workshops (the list is non-exhaustive):
- workshops that focus on an established research area, including continuations of workshops that were held in the past;
- workshops that focus on emerging topics and applications, or on open research questions and challenges;
- workshops that aim to create cross-disciplinary research fostering the exchange of ideas between groups otherwise mostly disconnected.
- title of the workshop/tutorial;
- names of the workshop/tutorial organisers;
- brief description of experience in workshop/tutorial organisation;
- description of the workshop/tutorial topic;
- brief description of the expected audience (please give an estimate of the expected number of participants and their background and interests);
- intended duration of the workshop (between half a day and a full day);
- timeline for the workshop (submission dates, notification dates). We recommend taking the proposed "important dates" below into account.
Submissions of workshop proposals will be evaluated by the workshop chairs of JOWO 2022 using the following criteria:
- Scientific relevance and utility to attendees;
- Quality of the proposal;
- Likelihood of success of the workshop;
- Overlap and complementarity with other workshops.
- February 15, 2022 – Workshop proposal submission deadline
- March 1, 2022 – Latest date for workshop acceptance notification
- March 16, 2022 – 1st call for papers to be distributed by individual workshop organisers
- August 15-19, 2022 – JOWO conference dates
In case of further questions please contact: steering.JOWO2022@gmail.com
Maria M. Hedblom, Jönköping University, Sweden
Karl Hammar, Jönköping University, Sweden
Tan He, Jönköping University, Sweden
Tiago Prince Sales, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy
Selja Seppälä, University College Cork, Ireland